Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Shanghai Girls


I enjoyed reading this novel by Lisa See. It's a historical fiction set in Shanghai and Los Angeles. It is a tale of dreams, war, fate, courage, and two sisters. It's a very easy read and an absolute page-turner. The author has portrayed the sibling rivalry well. The two girls undergo dire circumstances in the face of brutal war, bankrupt father, failed aspirations and bleak chances of survival. They fight their way to America and bravely embrace the harsh reality of their lives.

I've read Lisa's Snow Flower and The Secret Fan before, which is all about friendship between two girls in the 19th century China. If you want to know about Chinese country, the traditions and life in 1800s, especially about women and from a woman's point of view, do not miss this lovely book.

Personally, I took more pleasure in Shanghai Girls than the other. The next in line for me by the same author is Peony in Love. I might allow some time to pass before I pick it up though.

No comments: